The 2012-2013 season gets underway for Nebraska basketball on November 11 in Lincoln against Southern University. Expectations are for the Cornhuskers to live up to last season's performance. They lose 73% of last season's minutes and will look to replace it with the output of four incoming freshmen.
The largest gap to fill for Nebraska will be on defense, as the team lost 77.7% of their steals. That's followed closely by assists, where they drop another massive 77.1% from last season.
Last season, Nebraska finished with a final overall record of 12-17 and landed in 11th place in the Big Ten with a conference record of 4-14. The Cornhuskers went on to the Big Ten tournament where they lost to Purdue, 79-61. Nebraska will feel the loss of last year's seniors Bo Spencer (32 minutes per game), Brandon Richardson (30 MPG), Toney McCray (27 MPG), and Caleb Walker (25 MPG). The Cornhuskers will also have to live without Jorge Brian Diaz (27 MPG), Mike Fox (9 MPG), Josiah Moore (transferred to Tennessee Tech), Christopher Niemann (5 MPG), and Corey Hilliard (4 MPG).
Familiar faces for the Cornhuskers are senior Brandon Ubel (6.7 points/game), senior Dylan Talley (8.9 points/game), sophomore David Rivers (1.1 points/game), sophomore Jordan Tyrance (0.5 points/game), and sophomore Trevor Menke (0.0 points/game).
The Cornhuskers get new blood including freshmen 5-9 Benny Parker, 6-4 Max Ritchie, 7-1 Sergei Vucetic, and 6-6 Shavon Shields. The team picks up several other players, including 6-2 junior Ray Gallegos, 6-11 senior Andre Almeida, 6-0 junior Deverell Biggs, 6-6 sophomore Terran Petteway (transferred from Texas Tech), 6-2 junior Mike Peltz, and 6-10 sophomore Walter Pitchford V (transferred from Florida).
The Cornhuskers will look forward to nine games against AP preseason Top 25 teams, including #16 Creighton on December 6th, at #4 Ohio State on January 2nd, and #23 Wisconsin on January 6th. The first Big Ten game for Nebraska is at #4 Ohio State on January 2nd.
Tags: Bo Spencer
- Since 2002, Nebraska has an overall winning percentage of 52.2%. The Cornhuskers have been improving over the last 5 years with an overall winning percentage of 52.8%.
- The Cornhuskers have an average conference finish of 9.0 over the last 5 seasons. Over the past 16 the team has an average finish of 7.5.
- The average final RPI (last year) of opponents on this year's schedule is 106.1.
- This year's opponent with the highest RPI from last year is Michigan State (#3).
- This year's opponent with the lowest RPI from last year is Nicholls State (#298).
- Nebraska has 9 Preseason AP Top 25 teams on the schedule.
- The last time Nebraska returned less than 25% of the team's statistical production was 1996-1997.
, Brandon Richardson
, Toney McCray
, Caleb Walker
, Jorge Brian Diaz
, Mike Fox
, Josiah Moore
, Christopher Niemann
, Corey Hilliard
, Brandon Ubel
, Dylan Talley
, David Rivers
, Jordan Tyrance
, Trevor Menke
, Benny Parker
, Max Ritchie
, Sergei Vucetic
, Shavon Shields
, Ray Gallegos
, Andre Almeida
, Deverell Biggs
, Terran Petteway
, Mike Peltz
, Walter Pitchford